This is a really weird update, since everyone on here thinks I'm making the Phantom dress. I may do that later on, but I started Hermione's Yule Ball dress a while back (but haven't had much time to post due to school). I may post an analysis later, but we'll see! I'm trying to make this one as accurate as possible; I realized this one would be hard to make modest without making it unrecognizable, so I'm just gonna be tacky and wear a flesh-colored shirt underneath. Tacky but recognizable! ;) Anyway, I'll start with patterns.
For the bodice, I have no pattern. I'm totally making this up as I go along. It took several yards of muslin and some flimsy pink cotton to get it where it is now, but it's getting much closer. I really have no advice here other than patience, yards and yards of muslin, and something to measure with. Okay, so the rest of the bodice, the part that goes below the three-striped bust, I'm making with Simplicity pattern 4401. The seams they have are pretty off from what I want, so I combined pieces 4 and 5 to make the front (cutting it with 4 matched up to the fold), and pieces 6 and 7 to make the back (cutting it on the selvage of 6 so I could have the invisible zipper in the bacl). The back is pretty high, since it was intended to be attached to the bust. Just cut a bit off - it's mostly just guesswork based on images. This pattern can also be used for the chiffon sleeves. It might be a little short, but that wouldn't be too hard to fix. For the skirt, I'm using McCall's pattern 5046. I swear that this is a miracle pattern! It has a seam down the front, just like the Yule Ball dress, and it has seven chiffon layers. Seven. What are the odds of that? It'll need a little modifying, of course, since the chiffon layers in this pattern are even, and they get higher towards the front on the Yule Ball dress. I haven't had a good look at the pattern, yet, but hopefully that won't be too hard.
For a different but much easier bodice, anyone interested could try using part of the Simplicity 4401 pattern. It won't be accurate, but it will definitely be easier.
Next, I'll post my latest muslin. This is actually made of a really flimsy cotton I had laying around. I should've used muslin, but I'm running low and there are no fabric stores nearby anymore. Anyway, it's working just fine at the moment. All I need to remember to do are to trim the middle stripe (I had to sew in quite a bit of it, so it looks all right in this picture), and cut off the excess bust that's sewn down into the side seam. You can clearly see about four inches underneath the muslin. :D Other than that, it's coming along. Oh, and I only sewed half of it, so the other half is covered. Probably won't make any sense, but at least I know what it looks like.
Next and lastly, I ordered several swatches and I think I've found what I'm looking for. On the first image, the two swatches I like are at the very bottom. The one on the left is polyester chiffon (from fabric.com) for the skirt and sleeves, and the one on the right is polyester satin charmeuse (from syfabrics.com) for the rest. My digital camera is low quality, so it's hard to see the actual colors. Here is an image from syfabric's site of the silk charmeuse (the color is PERFECT, though it's not exactly the texture I was looking for - it's a little thin.):
That's all I have for now. Hopefully I'll get to ordering those two fabrics (or driving more than I should to see if the nearest Joann has anything better) and get cracking!